Facts & FAQs
Fisher House Facts
- Lackland Fisher Houses are operated by Fisher House, Inc., an IRS code 501c (3) non-profit charitable organization which was established in 1991
- Fisher House I opened in April, 1992; Fisher House II in December, 1992; Fisher House III (The Inn for Children) in March, 2001
- Capacity is 26 guest rooms for 3-4 people per room
- Each year, about 2,442 volunteers contribute approximately 6,075 hours
- Almost 6,000 families have been served since opening in 1992
- Families have stayed over 110,000 room nights
- Families have saved almost $6.0 million in lodging costs (based on average $55.00 per night local rates)
- Average length of stay for non-pediatric patient families has been 16 days
- Longest stay has been 552 days
- Families receive lodging, food (based on available donations) and amenities free of charge
- Families save over $275,000 in food costs each year
- Of the families who have stayed at Fisher House, 18% were ages 0-18, 70% were 19-60 and 12% over 60 years old
- Officer families have comprised 15%, and enlisted families 85%
- Service representation was 62% Air Force, 26% Army, 6% Navy, Less than 5% Marine Corps and less than 1% other
- 52% were active duty, 45% retired and 3% other
- $55 per day is the average cost to support a family staying at Fisher House
- All contributions to Fisher House, Inc. are fully tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Fisher House?
Fisher House is a home-away-from-home for the families of seriously ill or injured patients receiving treatment at Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center, San Antonio Military Medical Center or other medical facilities in the San Antonio Area at no cost.
Who donated Fisher House?
Two enthusiastic supporters of the U.S. military–Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher–donated Fisher House. They wanted to give military families a homey place to stay when a family member was hospitalized for critical care. Thanks to them, Fisher Houses are in operation supporting families wherever major military medical centers are found.
Who can stay here?
You can view our Eligibility Guidelines here. Service members, parents, spouses, other relatives, or anybody supporting seriously ill or injured inpatients at Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center, San Antonio Military Medical Center or other medical facilities in the San Antonio Area are eligible to stay at the Lackland Fisher Houses on a space-available basis. Prospective guests must be able to care for themselves since no medical care is provided at the houses.
What services are offered?
Our facility has 26 fully-furnished bedrooms with private baths. The houses have well-stocked community kitchens and spacious dining and living areas. Features include in-room telephones and cable TV/DVD players, Wi-Fi, laundry facilities and housekeeping services.
How much does it cost?
How do I apply?
All applications must go through your medical case worker. Contact your case worker to fill out an application. He/she will then forward your application to our House Manager. As rooms become available, our staff will contact you via telephone. Submission of your application does not guarantee you a room. As stated on the application, we highly encourage you to make other arrangements should our houses be full during your requested dates.
Who do I contact for additional questions regarding staying at Lackland Fisher House ?
Philip Harralson, House Manager: 210-671-6037
Brittany Wallace, Assistant House Manager: 210-671-6028
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 0800 – 1700. Office is closed on Federal Holidays.